Located beside the Museum to the north, the circa 1790 Beaumont House was the home of Revolutionary War veteran and cooper Samuel Beaumont and his family. One of the nine Beaumont children, William, left Lebanon around 1809. After training as a doctor and while serving as an Army surgeon, William Beaumont investigated the workings of the human stomach. This work made him the “father of gastrology” and led the Yale University Beaumont Medical Club to locate this house in the northern part of Lebanon. In the 1970s, they had the building moved to a location behind the Governor Trumbull House, restored it and donated it to the Lebanon Historical Society. In 2014, the Society moved the Beaumont House across the Green to this location on its campus.
Restored and re-interpreted in 2016, the Beaumont House is furnished to show Samuel and Lucretia Beaumont’s home circa 1810 based on Samuel’s 1814 probate inventory. Visitors are encouraged to try their hand at some of the many chores essential in keeping the farm going as they learn about this farming family and its famous son.